Lehlogonolo Khoabane, 16, Katleho Khoabane, 13, and Tebogo Ngcongwane, 6, died when their father spiked their energy drink with a rat poison.
The father who is currently in hospital under police watch after being found unconscious has apologized. He told the nurses that he did not know what he was doing. It is believed that he attempted suicide after he gave the children the spiked drink for school.
Family spokesperson Johannes Khoabane said the family was looking for answers “We have no idea what happened. All of us want to know what happened. We asked his wife and she said they had not fought. I don’t know what happened. The only person who knows is him. We are stuck, he must tell us why he did that.”
Gauteng MEC Panyaza Lesufi visited one of the schools that the children attended on Friday in. Ratanda, near Heidelberg. The MEC said preliminary report showed that the children’s father spiked the drink before giving them to school on Thursday. Lesufi said the man’s fourth child survived but remains in hospital. The fifth child survived as he had not consumed the drink he was given by his father.