Despite the difficulties in his visa application, Novak Djokovic expressed his desire to compete in the Australian Open.
On Monday, Novak Djokovic announced his intention to compete in the Australian Open, while his mother referred to the decision to overturn his visa cancellation as the “biggest success in his career.”
The decision overturned his visa cancellation on Covid-19 health grounds, essentially ending his incarceration and possibly paving the way for his record 21st Grand Slam singles title bid.
Next Monday marks the start of the year’s first Grand Slam in Melbourne.
“Despite all that has happened,I want to stay and try to compete @AustralianOpen. I remain focused on that,” Djokovic tweeted.
His mother Dijana appearing at a press conference in Belgrade called it “the biggest victory in his career, bigger than all his grand slams”.
His brother Djordje said justice had been served.
“Truth and justice came to the light. I would like to thank the justice system of Australia,” said his brother Djordje, adding Djokovic had been able to train since being released from detention.
After failing to give a valid medical explanation for not being vaccinated against Covid-19, the 34-year-old Serbian was confined in an immigration detention center in Melbourne for several nights.
Djokovic has not been vaccinated against Covid-19 and came in Melbourne last Wednesday with a medical exemption from the Australia Open organizers ahead of the season’s opening Grand Slam.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC MAY BE FORCED TO LEAVE AUSTRALIA AGAIN.
Immigration officials, on the other hand, determined that the champion had failed to provide a valid medical explanation for not getting injected.
Despite losing in court, the Australian government has threatened to deport Djokovic by canceling his visa for a second time, causing the Serb to miss the Australian Open, which begins on January 17th.